Skip to main content

My Confidence and Me

I hope everyone is having a fantastic week! I have decided this year that I want to branch out a little in my blog and while the focus will still stay on teen dating abuse and domestic violence, I want to touch on topics such as mental health and my own life as I move forward as a survivor. 2019 marks my third year out of an abusive relationship, but more importantly, it marks my third year of building myself up and becoming more confident. This year, I think my word is decidedly confidence-- and it's shown up a few times in just these first few weeks.

Even three years out of the relationship with my abuser, there are still lingering wounds. One of these has been affecting me for far too long and I finally found it within myself to address it. Something my abuser used to do very often was threaten to leave me whenever he was slightly upset with me. While he sadly never carried through on this threat, it really managed to tear me down. I would look at the years I put into the relationship and think it was worth nothing to him since he was willing to drop it all at a moment's aggravation-- meaning I was so meaningless he would leave me over stupid little things. It has only been recently that I've realized that this thought process has carried over, not just with the relationship with my boyfriend but with friends. Whenever I think someone I care about is slightly mad at me, I have a strong fear that they'll just decide I'm not worth the trouble and leave... but that's never been the case. Why? Because to my friends and to my boyfriend, I am worth more and an argument or disagreement isn't going to change that.

So why do I still feel this way? I have to link it back to my confidence. I haven't been seeing myself in the right light and that's something I want to change. It's something I think many abuse victims and survivors deal with, and it's something that I believe you really have to address straight on. I plan to do just that, to see myself as the people around me do and not the skewed way that still sometimes pops into my head.

Of course, it hasn't only been my relationships that have been affected by this confidence issue. For a while, I haven't felt confident in myself to pursue what I really want to do with my life. My goal going into university was to go through to get a doctoral degree in English and teach college. But for a while, I was sidetracked by the possibility that maybe I wasn't cut out for what I wanted to do. This is something I have also addressed in my life, and after doing so I feel a lot of peace. Even though I know the years of education may not be easy... I know I can do it and I am looking forward to it.

Sucess.com outlines a few 'mental hacks' to be more confident with oneself. The two that I am leaning towards the most are these: overcome self-doubt and face your fears. Those are two things I will be working towards this year as I continue on, and I encourage everyone reading this to do the same! There are things in life to overcome, whether it's doubt or insecurity or fear. And once it's addressed, you can move forward.

To me, confidence is believing in oneself. It's knowing your own worth and accepting the good qualities. This year, that is what I want to do.



If you know any organization (scouts, church, etc.) that would like to have me speak on Teen Dating Abuse, please contact me through my website here with your email address. To keep up with updates on this blog please feel free to hit the subscribe button in the top right corner to be alerted to new posts every Thursday. Have something you would like to know more about in the future? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer right away! Remember, the first step in solving the problem of teen dating abuse is awareness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources if You Are in an Abusive Relationship

When someone is in an abusive relationship, it is easy to feel alone and like there is no help or hope. Sometimes people simply do not know where to look. While calling 9-1-1 seems to be the most likely solution (and something I highly support),  The Hotline  did a survey of abused women which stated that  4/5 women were afraid of calling the police . Some areas-- such as that of the Pickens County Georgia Sheriff's Office and the State of Tennessee-- are trying to lessen that fear by releasing videos such as the two shared here. However, there are other places to reach out to or to use for help if you are one of those 4/5 that does not want to involve the police. The Hotline is one of the best resources for victims of domestic/intimate abuse, along with its sister site Love is Respect which is aimed more towards teenagers and young adults, as well as parents and friends of those that may be involved in an abusive relationship. Both of these websites have online chat availab

What is the Cycle of Abuse?

Chapter Four of The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships  by Donald G. Dutton starts with the author looking back on past interviews, writing, "As I look now at the interview notes I took from female partners of our clients, the phrases jump off the page at me: "He's like two different people," "He's like Jekyll and Hyde," "He's completely different sometimes..."" These continue on finishing with the phrase, "He's like living on an emotional roller coaster." 'The Cycle of Violence,' or 'The Cycle of Abuse,' was something I learned about after leaving my abusive ex. And it is something I want to share more because I remember thinking "This explains so much."  The chart to the right is one of the more detailed versions of this cycle which can be seen in three stages-- occasionally more, but these three encompass the big points. These stages explain what the auth

It's Time to Talk about Psychological and Verbal Abuse || TedTalk

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States. Almost half of all men and women in the United States have been victim to psychological abuse in an intimate relationship. It doesn't matter who you are, domestic violence-- which is not always physical-- can happen to anyone . Today, I wanted to share Lizzie Glazer's TedTalk. While she mainly speaks about a situation within a marriage, this information is relevant for any intimate, or even familial, abuse. I urge you to take a few minutes to watch this video and learn about the effects of psychological and verbal abuse.