Skip to main content

What is Love Bombing? + Updates

Finally getting back to the blog after a long hiatus. Since I've written, I have graduated from my bachelor's program and have a spot waiting for me in the graduate program with a GA position! I was also interviewed about my blog for the university newspaper, The All State, which was incredibly exciting. In addition, two weeks ago, I was able to talk to the teens at my church about teen dating abuse which went wonderfully. I'm glad that despite my overwhelming writers block, I've still been able to spread awareness!

This week I want to dive back in, though, starting with love bombing. Psychology Today writer,
Suzanne Degges-White, defined love bombing by saying, "love bombing is the practice of overwhelming someone with signs of adoration and attraction — think flattering comments, tokens of affection, or love notes on the mirror, kitchen table, or windshield, and you’re beginning to get the picture." I'm sharing this video in particular because I think that Stephanie Lyn's vlog is a helpful contribution, but also because I've talked about love bombing before-- I just called it by a different title. In my earlier post "Too Much, Too Soon," I talked about the beginning stages of love bombing because that is what it is, too much too soon. Love bombing is used by narcissists and abusers in order to manipulate their victim. It starts occurring in the 'honeymoon phase,' the beginning of relationships when things are usually very loving and at times over the top. Love bombing, when used by abusers, is far more extreme and continuous, turning very toxic and manipulative.

Most relationships start with a small amount of 'love bombing' that fades with time as the couple starts facing reality, forming a relationship that isn't fully based on romantic aspects, and learning to compromise. This is put off in a relationship where an abuser uses love bombing, the 'honeymoon phase' stretching. Lyn describes the reasoning behind this as the abuser grooming the victim and making sure that the victim is hooked on the love they are receiving. There is a motive behind it. If the motive isn't met, the abuser will stop love bombing. Instead, the abuser will start devaluing and abusing the victim as a backlash.

Lyn notes two ways this cycle can go. The first is with the victim feeding in and the abuser rewarding their return with more love bombing. However, the other includes the victim pulling away and standing up for themselves. In this second scenario, Lyn says the abuser will often pursue the victim with apologies and start the love bombing again. In either instance, the victim is often stuck in the relationship that continues through a cycle of building up and tearing down.

I believe that recognizing this cycle is one of the first steps in overcoming it, and knowing about things such as love bombing is a powerful tool for both men and women alike. I hope you take a few minutes to watch this video and share it. You never know who you might help.

If you know any organization (scouts, church, etc.) that would like to have a speaker on Teen Dating Abuse, please contact me through my website here with your email address. To keep up with updates on this blog please feel free to hit the subscribe button in the top right corner to be alerted to new posts every Thursday. Have something you would like to know more about in the future? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer right away! Remember, the first step in solving the problem of teen dating abuse is awareness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources if You Are in an Abusive Relationship

When someone is in an abusive relationship, it is easy to feel alone and like there is no help or hope. Sometimes people simply do not know where to look. While calling 9-1-1 seems to be the most likely solution (and something I highly support),  The Hotline  did a survey of abused women which stated that  4/5 women were afraid of calling the police . Some areas-- such as that of the Pickens County Georgia Sheriff's Office and the State of Tennessee-- are trying to lessen that fear by releasing videos such as the two shared here. However, there are other places to reach out to or to use for help if you are one of those 4/5 that does not want to involve the police. The Hotline is one of the best resources for victims of domestic/intimate abuse, along with its sister site Love is Respect which is aimed more towards teenagers and young adults, as well as parents and friends of those that may be involved in an abusive relationship. Both of these websites have online chat availab

What is the Cycle of Abuse?

Chapter Four of The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships  by Donald G. Dutton starts with the author looking back on past interviews, writing, "As I look now at the interview notes I took from female partners of our clients, the phrases jump off the page at me: "He's like two different people," "He's like Jekyll and Hyde," "He's completely different sometimes..."" These continue on finishing with the phrase, "He's like living on an emotional roller coaster." 'The Cycle of Violence,' or 'The Cycle of Abuse,' was something I learned about after leaving my abusive ex. And it is something I want to share more because I remember thinking "This explains so much."  The chart to the right is one of the more detailed versions of this cycle which can be seen in three stages-- occasionally more, but these three encompass the big points. These stages explain what the auth

It's Time to Talk about Psychological and Verbal Abuse || TedTalk

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States. Almost half of all men and women in the United States have been victim to psychological abuse in an intimate relationship. It doesn't matter who you are, domestic violence-- which is not always physical-- can happen to anyone . Today, I wanted to share Lizzie Glazer's TedTalk. While she mainly speaks about a situation within a marriage, this information is relevant for any intimate, or even familial, abuse. I urge you to take a few minutes to watch this video and learn about the effects of psychological and verbal abuse.