Skip to main content

No More


I've always been someone who likes the visuals of videos, so while I'm getting prepared for my pageant and getting into the swing of school, I thought I'd finally show this one! It was made by NoMore.org which is a website campaigning against sexual assault and domestic violence-- it has several good resources I look forward to reading and sharing in the future.

One of the things in this video that really stuck out to me was the actual title "It's Just Stress." I feel like that is such a common excuse made for abusers-- they're stressed, of course they're acting like this. In the video, the girl says something along the lines of 'his coaches push him, his parents push him, his teachers push him-- so he pushes me.' I remember thinking similar things, though this video does handle more aggressive physical abuse than I was subject to. I remember thinking 'he's being mean to me because he's angry with his parents' or his teachers or friends or anyone... But the thing is if somebody loves you, they won't take their anger out on you in that way continuously. If somebody loves you, they won't put their hands on you in anger. There is no 'right time' to break up in an abusive situation-- the time is now.

To those of you reading, let's spread this video like wildfire and help teenagers who think 'this is just what love is' realize that it is not love at all. It's abuse. Let's speak up, and stand tall, and put a stop to teenagers being victims of their significant others. Let's say 'no more.'

If you know any organization (scouts, church, etc.) that would like to have me speak on Teen Dating Abuse, please contact me through my website here with your email address. To keep up with updates on this blog please feel free to hit the subscribe button in the top right corner to be alerted to new posts every Monday. Have something you would like to know more about in the future? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer right away! Remember, the first step in solving the problem of teen dating abuse is awareness!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Traumatic Bonding?

Many people outside of an abusive relationship often don't understand why a victim doesn't just leave. I have covered the topic of exactly why it isn't always as simple as breaking up-- or moving out in the case the victim is already living with their abuser-- in a former blog post ( click here! ) but today I really want to discuss in depth one of the lesser thought of factors. I mentioned in last week's post, What is the Cycle of Abuse,  that the abuse cycle can bring on something known as 'traumatic bonding.' This is something most abuse victims, myself included, fall to unknowingly.   In his book The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships , Donald Dutton writes, "This process [traumatic bonding] is an attachment to the abuser formed by the prior power differential in the relationship coupled with intermittent abuse. The result is a powerful attachment bond that begins to operate on the abuse victim with time away from the a...

It's Time to Talk about Psychological and Verbal Abuse || TedTalk

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States. Almost half of all men and women in the United States have been victim to psychological abuse in an intimate relationship. It doesn't matter who you are, domestic violence-- which is not always physical-- can happen to anyone . Today, I wanted to share Lizzie Glazer's TedTalk. While she mainly speaks about a situation within a marriage, this information is relevant for any intimate, or even familial, abuse. I urge you to take a few minutes to watch this video and learn about the effects of psychological and verbal abuse.

Speaking Out Against Abuse

With everything that has been happening within the world in this past year, I think this subject has come into the light of importance-- where it should be. Speaking out against abuse isn't easy . Some might wonder why a survivor of abuse wouldn't wish to name their abuser and see justice done, and there are quite a few reasons, some of which I have spoken about before. If the abuser is still in the picture, it can be dangerous. The survivor might fear retribution-- something I feared when I first began speaking about my experience within an abusive relationship given I was still in the same area of my abuser and saw him regularly. Even if the abuser isn't still in the survivor's life, they may not wish to approach the subject because it's a painful topic or because they're embarrassed by what they went through-- even though there is nothing for a survivor to feel embarrassed or ashamed of. This isn't me trying to make survivors feel bad about not speaking...