Skip to main content

Healing After an Abusive Relationship: Making Health a Top Priority



Whenever I read about the period after an abusive relationship, I always see something about health and how you should make it a larger priority in your life. In the article Healing After Abuse by PsychCentral it says, "You will feel less dependent on abusive people when you can recognize your own needs and take care of them... This is the time to nourish your body with healthy food and exercise." I think that this is an incredibly important thing to point out, especially because of what I personally went through during and after my relationship with my abuser. I do think that the wording is a bit off in this article, though-- I don't think it's the lack of recognition of needs, but the ability to see it's time to take care of yourself rather than focus on what your abuser wants from you. You no longer have to account for your abuser's opinion, you no longer have to worry about your abuser asking who you're trying to look good for if you start taking care of yourself physically.

When I was with my abuser, I was at my worst physically. I always felt sick, I didn't want to move around and stayed in bed a lot, I didn't sleep enough, and I tended to eat too much (or too little). This was because of the amount of stress I was going through because of him. Stress can lead to a lot of health issues, and a lot of complications-- such as feeling sick with stomachaches or headaches, feeling lethargic, and weight gain or loss. Even after breaking up with him, I had a lot of complications from stress. I felt too sick to my stomach to eat and lost a good amount of the excess weight I had gained, but not in a healthy way. I was still lethargic, and I couldn't sleep most nights as I began sorting out my feelings, as I began to recognize what all had happened. I didn't have much to go on with how to take care of myself after ignoring my own needs for so long, so here's a list of tips on how to make your health a priority after breaking up with an abuser.

1) Exercise. I start with this one because this was something I struggled with even until more recently. The thing is, exercising doesn't have to be rigorous. Go on a walk or do a little bit of yoga. Recently, I've been enjoying classes at my local gym-- which could be good for someone trying to socialize more after being secluded by an abuser. However, if you aren't up for being in crowded spaces or you just don't feel comfortable in a gym setting, YouTube is actually a great tool to use. You can find a lot of workout routines-- from simple/beginner to more advanced! I've started utilizing Youtube workouts a lot recently, from 80's aerobics (they have full-length programs) to Blogilates. Just one ten minute stretch routine a day can really help you towards a healthier routine.

2) Stay hydrated. Hydration is really important to the body, and getting enough water can change how you feel. The recommendation is eight 8-ounce glasses, but even starting with just half of that is good! You can also add fruit to your water-- like strawberries or peaches, grapes or cucumbers-- to make it a little more appealing. I try to drink eight ounces an hour which I think is a pretty good goal!

3) Get enough sleep. For adults, six to eight hours are recommended for a good nights sleep. When you're stressed, it can be hard to sleep in the first place-- I can definitely remember nights where I just couldn't get my thoughts to quiet down so I could get some rest. The exercise can come in handy here, or just developing a routine you're body can get used to. Before I go to sleep, I do a stretch routine and read for an hour with a mug of chamomile tea. I've heard other people say that they go through a prayer list, or write in a journal, or run a bath to relax for a half hour or so. I would not recommend melatonin, however, as it can make you feel depressed.

4) Eat right. Eating right can really affect your day to day life. This is not saying to go on a diet-- just as saying to exercise wasn't promoting boot camp-- but rather a reminder to look at what you are eating. Are you getting enough protein? Vitamins? Are you overeating, or not eating enough? It can be hard to keep track, but monitoring yourself so you get enough to eat can be really helpful. Try to eat three meals a day, too. Breakfast can be hard to catch, especially when getting up early, but if you have a blender you can make some really simple smoothies for a meal on the go or put some overnight oats in the refrigerator before you go to bed. Even a cup of dry cereal is better than nothing!

To me, these are the four most important tips to making health a top priority in your life moving forward from abuse. Exercise, hydration, sleep, and correct eating are things that can help you really make an impact on your life and your routine-- and after an abusive relationship, changing up your routine can be really helpful! If you want some more tips on going towards a healthier life, check out this video by Blogilates on Youtube. She talks a little about what I've already covered, but I think she makes some good points as well. It isn't specifically towards survivors of abuse, but it is for people in stressful positions. It's worth a few minutes to watch.

If you know any organization (scouts, church, etc.) that would like to have me speak on Teen Dating Abuse, please contact me through my website here with your email address. To keep up with updates on this blog please feel free to hit the subscribe button in the top right corner to be alerted to new posts every Monday. Have something you would like to know more about in the future? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer right away! Remember, the first step in solving the problem of teen dating abuse is awareness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources if You Are in an Abusive Relationship

When someone is in an abusive relationship, it is easy to feel alone and like there is no help or hope. Sometimes people simply do not know where to look. While calling 9-1-1 seems to be the most likely solution (and something I highly support),  The Hotline  did a survey of abused women which stated that  4/5 women were afraid of calling the police . Some areas-- such as that of the Pickens County Georgia Sheriff's Office and the State of Tennessee-- are trying to lessen that fear by releasing videos such as the two shared here. However, there are other places to reach out to or to use for help if you are one of those 4/5 that does not want to involve the police. The Hotline is one of the best resources for victims of domestic/intimate abuse, along with its sister site Love is Respect which is aimed more towards teenagers and young adults, as well as parents and friends of those that may be involved in an abusive relationship. Both of these websites have online chat availab

What is the Cycle of Abuse?

Chapter Four of The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships  by Donald G. Dutton starts with the author looking back on past interviews, writing, "As I look now at the interview notes I took from female partners of our clients, the phrases jump off the page at me: "He's like two different people," "He's like Jekyll and Hyde," "He's completely different sometimes..."" These continue on finishing with the phrase, "He's like living on an emotional roller coaster." 'The Cycle of Violence,' or 'The Cycle of Abuse,' was something I learned about after leaving my abusive ex. And it is something I want to share more because I remember thinking "This explains so much."  The chart to the right is one of the more detailed versions of this cycle which can be seen in three stages-- occasionally more, but these three encompass the big points. These stages explain what the auth

It's Time to Talk about Psychological and Verbal Abuse || TedTalk

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States. Almost half of all men and women in the United States have been victim to psychological abuse in an intimate relationship. It doesn't matter who you are, domestic violence-- which is not always physical-- can happen to anyone . Today, I wanted to share Lizzie Glazer's TedTalk. While she mainly speaks about a situation within a marriage, this information is relevant for any intimate, or even familial, abuse. I urge you to take a few minutes to watch this video and learn about the effects of psychological and verbal abuse.