Skip to main content

Progress On My Program!

On May 3rd, I got the incredible opportunity to speak to the teens at the public library on the subject of teen dating abuse! This is the second time I was able to speak there, the first time being with tweens about toxic friendships in April. I am so happy to live in a community where people are open to speaking about these issues, where they are open to letting young people learn about the possibilities out in the world and the challenges they might face. The library meeting went incredibly well! Even with a small crowd, I feel like hearts were touched and ears were open. Even though the girls were a bit shy in asking questions, the moderator for my presentation was able to guide such things, allowing me to grow in knowing what I might want to add in for next time. Currently, my program involves three parts: Awareness, Prevention, & Support. However, I really want to broaden support to talk about support systems as well as add a section on Recovery and Speaking Up. These two things, I believe, are crucial. Recovery because not everyone really knows where to start-- I wouldn't have known where to start if it hadn't been for a professor insisting I go to counseling services on campus a few days after breaking up with my abuser. Speaking Up is also something I feel should be touched on as it is a healing element, but one that can come with a backlash. I feel like young girls should know what they may face in order to prepare and stay strong!

I was also really thankful for the support I was shown by friends who came to the library either to just let me know that they were giving their support or sitting in on the presentation. And to all of you who have recently contacted me with supportive messages or with your own stories-- thank you so much, it means a lot to me. 

Currently, I am looking for more places to speak and am super excited about the opportunities that God is opening up for me. Every time one door closes, three more open! Every time something tries to knock me down, a dozen people are lifting me back up. I am seeing the hands of God moving whenever I step forward. I will say again thank you for all of those who take time to read my blog, contact me, and support me in my endeavors-- it's a true blessing in my life to have people like you.

One final note-- I am super excited to announce that I've ordered business cards! They are professional and completely me. They also allow me to give out information to teens I talk to so they can easily find resources on my blog or reach me through email-- sometimes it's hard to speak up in a meeting, but I am always willing to help and speak to people who are dealing with situations like what I went through in my teen years.

I'm hoping to write about my experience with counseling next week, but I was excited to give my first progress report since I started my blog! If you know any organization (scouts, church, etc.) that might be interested in my program, my website with contact is here! To keep up with updates to this blog please feel free to hit the follow button to be alerted to new posts! Remember, the first step in solving the problem of teen dating abuse is awareness!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources if You Are in an Abusive Relationship

When someone is in an abusive relationship, it is easy to feel alone and like there is no help or hope. Sometimes people simply do not know where to look. While calling 9-1-1 seems to be the most likely solution (and something I highly support),  The Hotline  did a survey of abused women which stated that  4/5 women were afraid of calling the police . Some areas-- such as that of the Pickens County Georgia Sheriff's Office and the State of Tennessee-- are trying to lessen that fear by releasing videos such as the two shared here. However, there are other places to reach out to or to use for help if you are one of those 4/5 that does not want to involve the police. The Hotline is one of the best resources for victims of domestic/intimate abuse, along with its sister site Love is Respect which is aimed more towards teenagers and young adults, as well as parents and friends of those that may be involved in an abusive relationship. Both of these websites have online chat availab

What is the Cycle of Abuse?

Chapter Four of The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships  by Donald G. Dutton starts with the author looking back on past interviews, writing, "As I look now at the interview notes I took from female partners of our clients, the phrases jump off the page at me: "He's like two different people," "He's like Jekyll and Hyde," "He's completely different sometimes..."" These continue on finishing with the phrase, "He's like living on an emotional roller coaster." 'The Cycle of Violence,' or 'The Cycle of Abuse,' was something I learned about after leaving my abusive ex. And it is something I want to share more because I remember thinking "This explains so much."  The chart to the right is one of the more detailed versions of this cycle which can be seen in three stages-- occasionally more, but these three encompass the big points. These stages explain what the auth

It's Time to Talk about Psychological and Verbal Abuse || TedTalk

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States. Almost half of all men and women in the United States have been victim to psychological abuse in an intimate relationship. It doesn't matter who you are, domestic violence-- which is not always physical-- can happen to anyone . Today, I wanted to share Lizzie Glazer's TedTalk. While she mainly speaks about a situation within a marriage, this information is relevant for any intimate, or even familial, abuse. I urge you to take a few minutes to watch this video and learn about the effects of psychological and verbal abuse.