Skip to main content

What is Spiritual Abuse?



Spirituality is something that a lot of people hold very close. As a Christian, this is a true statement of myself. My faith was something I never thought would be used against me, especially not by someone I cared about, but it easily was. Faith and words of the Bible can be easily be manipulated to be used against someone. As 'A Place of Hope' puts it, "Spiritual abuse is the intentional misrepresentation of a spiritual truth for unspiritual reasons, such as greed, manipulation, injustice, hatred, or spite."

While spiritual abuse is more often seen being used by authorities of a church or cults, it can also be seen in intimate relationships and can be linked in with any form of abuse-- emotional, physical, or sexual.

In the abusive relationship I was in, it seemed like faith was often held against me. Using a list of spiritually abusive behaviors given by The Hotline, I will attempt to bring light to what this abuse can look like in an intimate relationship.

A spiritually abusive person ridicules or insults their partner’s religious or spiritual beliefs.

This can be true even if you share the same fundamental beliefs or religion as the abuser. My abuser and I both went to church, and I was under the impression that we shared the same Christian religion. We had the same foundation, but there were places where our thoughts differed. I have always been under the belief that if you give your life to Jesus and believe, the rest doesn't matter-- such as the sect you are in be it Baptist, Methodist, or Catholic. My abuser didn't believe the same as I do, and often would ridicule this as well as other small things such as this. It may not seem like a large thing, but this wasn't at all a discussion-- it was a situation of being told 'you are wrong and stupid for believing this' which can easily make someone begin questioning what they believe.

A spiritually abusive person uses their partner’s religious or spiritual beliefs to manipulate or shame them.

Manipulation was what my abuser used against me. I was very protective of my virginity due to the teachings of the Bible. My abuser said for years that since we were going to get married anyway, it didn't matter and it was basically the same thing. This increased exponentially after we were engaged. This was sexual coercion, and twisting the scripture to use it against me.

My abuser also used my religion to shame me for being friends with certain people and try to convince me they weren't the sort I should be hanging out with. This relates back to emotional abuse and isolation.

This point can go further, of course. The National Association for Christian Recovery says in their article about spiritual abuse, "sometimes battered wives are told that God wants them to be submissive to their husbands." This is an example of manipulation using spirituality, and also an example of twisting the scripture.

A spiritually abusive person uses religious texts or beliefs to minimize or rationalize abusive behaviors.

Looking back, I am really amazed at how much this tactic was used against me, not just by my abuser but by people around me that were claiming they were attempting to help me. The Southlake Christian Counseling covered this very well in their article Spiritual Abuse is..., but there were a few things I wanted to touch on from this source. The writer of the article Shannon Thomas noted that "when scripture on forgiveness is distorted to keep someone from setting healthy boundaries with a toxic person." After my relationship with my abuser ended, I sought help within a community I was a part of, and all I heard was how I should forgive and how the Bible said to forgive. They didn't seem to understand that I still had a real fear of my former abuser (who was in close proximity). While I didn't want him removed from the area, there were boundaries that I and several other people thought should be set by the leaders of that community. Instead, whenever I tried to see this done, I was once again lectured on forgiveness-- and I have long since forgiven. Shannon Thomas writes, "when a survivor initially seeks guidance from a Christian leader, they need help setting healthy boundaries... They do NOT need a leader reinforcing the concept that the abuse is the survivor’s fault."

Some other spiritually abusive behaviors that might be in an intimate relationship.

  • prevents the other partner from practicing their religious or spiritual beliefs
  • forces the children to be raised in a faith that the other partner has not agreed to
These two are not things I went through personally, given I practiced the same religion as my abuser and I do not have any children. However, I do want them to be mentioned. I am sure there are more examples, and if you have one please feel free to leave a comment! It might help someone else.

If you know any organization (scouts, church, etc.) that would like to have me speak on Teen Dating Abuse, please contact me through my website here with your email address. To keep up with updates on this blog please feel free to hit the subscribe button in the top right corner to be alerted to new posts every Monday. Have something you would like to know more about in the future? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer right away! Remember, the first step in solving the problem of teen dating abuse is awareness!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources if You Are in an Abusive Relationship

When someone is in an abusive relationship, it is easy to feel alone and like there is no help or hope. Sometimes people simply do not know where to look. While calling 9-1-1 seems to be the most likely solution (and something I highly support),  The Hotline  did a survey of abused women which stated that  4/5 women were afraid of calling the police . Some areas-- such as that of the Pickens County Georgia Sheriff's Office and the State of Tennessee-- are trying to lessen that fear by releasing videos such as the two shared here. However, there are other places to reach out to or to use for help if you are one of those 4/5 that does not want to involve the police. The Hotline is one of the best resources for victims of domestic/intimate abuse, along with its sister site Love is Respect which is aimed more towards teenagers and young adults, as well as parents and friends of those that may be involved in an abusive relationship. Both of these websites have online chat availab

What is the Cycle of Abuse?

Chapter Four of The Abusive Personality: Violence and Control in Intimate Relationships  by Donald G. Dutton starts with the author looking back on past interviews, writing, "As I look now at the interview notes I took from female partners of our clients, the phrases jump off the page at me: "He's like two different people," "He's like Jekyll and Hyde," "He's completely different sometimes..."" These continue on finishing with the phrase, "He's like living on an emotional roller coaster." 'The Cycle of Violence,' or 'The Cycle of Abuse,' was something I learned about after leaving my abusive ex. And it is something I want to share more because I remember thinking "This explains so much."  The chart to the right is one of the more detailed versions of this cycle which can be seen in three stages-- occasionally more, but these three encompass the big points. These stages explain what the auth

It's Time to Talk about Psychological and Verbal Abuse || TedTalk

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States. Almost half of all men and women in the United States have been victim to psychological abuse in an intimate relationship. It doesn't matter who you are, domestic violence-- which is not always physical-- can happen to anyone . Today, I wanted to share Lizzie Glazer's TedTalk. While she mainly speaks about a situation within a marriage, this information is relevant for any intimate, or even familial, abuse. I urge you to take a few minutes to watch this video and learn about the effects of psychological and verbal abuse.